Monday, March 23, 2009

Research begins!

Reflecting over these last few weeks regarding my IRB, etc., I am reminded that credibility, trust, familiarity, and audience have been on my mind and have directed my path in this journey. Another word - technology - has been instrumental.

It seems as much as I've planned, last minute happenings have still occurred. For example, my IRB was approved the afternoon before I left for a trip my family had planned for over a year. So, technology was the bridge to being able to begin research today. Taking my laptop with me, I was able to correspond with a contact made at a local hospital. Gaining trust via email is not my first choice. I prefer to meet in person, but my contact was flexible. Back to trust, I had previously made contact with a person I knew worked at the hospital, telling him my story, and asking if he would be introduce/recommend me to the appropriate personnel.

My 16-page IRB provided the credibility of my preparation as well as my experiences from another study. I've found it extremely helpful to conduct my research locally first. Waco is a relatively small community and people know people who know people.... I want to use these small local studies to apply for grant money in the future, and it has helped to not have to travel, enter unfamiliar territory, etc. with my first research studies.

Today I meet with an M.D. who is also a hospitalist and coordinates the hospitalist program at the hospital. I've purchased a digital camcorder because my "Digital 8 Sony Handycam" that was older but did say "digital!" wasn't really digital. I've practiced this weekend - so wish we luck!

Wednesday I will meet with the hospitalists for their morning meeting and then begin setting up appointments.

That's all for now. It's taken much longer than I anticipated - what a surprise. I'm thankful to be at this point, however, and looking forward to analyzing the information gathered.

Debra

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debra-

Modern technology has its advantages and disadvantages. Laptops help keep you connected (good), but you were on a family vacation (not good). Where did you go?

You commented that you had credibility because of your preparation. As the old saying goes, there is no substitute for good preparation. Your research results will benefit because of your preparation.

You talk about conducting your first research studies locally. I suspect that it helps to practice on those you feel comfortable with. You can refine the interview process. Once you feel comfortable with the process, maybe you should move into new territory. I bet that is where you will learn a lot of new information and ideas.

Now that you have new technology (digital video), be sure to videotape your vacations, and to show the tapes to your friends and family (yawn).

Your reflection is bubbling with enthusiasm. You go girl! (Can guys say that, or is it limited to females only?)

Rob

JeannieB said...

Wow! I'm so excited for you that your research is starting to take off! I look forward to hearing more.

Debra B. said...

Rob,
Yes, you can say, Go Girl!

And do I suspect that you have watched others' boring (yawning) videos - you have never seen mine. I saw this with confidence because I have yet to video a vacation. Also, I purchased this video after visiting Barcelona, Venice, and Rome. However, I do have some exciting (yawn) pictures that I could develop into an awesome presentation. Not really!

Debra B. said...

JeannieB,
Yes, even if taking off is in a different direction than I thought, it's still good.

Debra

Becky/Rebecca said...

You mentioned how "challenging" it is to gain trust, to get a foot in the door.

I think you'll find that this is one of THE biggest challenges of conducting research: getting into the site in a manner that is conducive to studying the population!

That said, if anyone can do it, YOU can. It takes persistence, kindness, genuine interest/enthusiasm, and a clearly articulated focus (that might well change, but it needs to be clearly articulated initially). That, plus ideas how the research might actually help those you're researching. As Rob said, you GO, girl!