I don't know about you, but sometimes I long for days to bypass "process." Then, I go through the steps and realize that process flushes out those hidden elements, getting me to visualize the research from start to finish.
http://issuu.com/ddbwaco/docs/burleson_research_proposal
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Just a quick comment to say, I love the website on which you posted your proposal. And I love the timeline. Neato.
Debra-
A few comments for your consideration. Of course, you can accept or reject any comment you desire.
I suggest you define what you mean by hospitalist. There seems to be more than one definition floating around. One definition includes nurse practitioners and physician assistants as well as physicians. Do you mean to include physicians and exclude everyone else?
Your research focus is documentation practices, but the tie between the first and second paragraphs is not clear. In other words, what’s the tie to the two significant areas of concern? Are you trying to ‘prove’ that communication is fragmented, or that hospitalist communication is not fragmented?
You have a minor conflict in the number of hospitals to be selected. Section IIa suggests that more than one will be selected, while section V suggests that you have already chosen one hospital.
What’s the tie between hospitalist’s patient record documentation and internal communication between the hospitalists and hospital administrators? Do you plan to show the influence one has on the other?
The green blocks on the chart (work in progress) go into late March. A clarification…have you started this work already? Do you plan to keep the chart up to date?
You plan to video or audio tape the observation/interviews. Do doctors chart at the patient’s bedside, at the nurses’ station or at their offices? It seems that bedside chats and nurses stations may not be conducive to taping. Do you plan to tape the hospital administrator interviews also?
You comment that if you receive IRB approval, you may change your plans. What you meant by this statement was not clear to your reader.
I really look forward to reading your final paper (if you write one).
Rob
Another comment to consider: I suspect that the hospitalist's communication style differs during normal work hours versus after work hours (nights and weekends). You might want to consider these different time frames during your research.
Rob
As Rob has already suggested, I think you need to define hospitalist and explain the benefits of developing our understanding of their communication.
I think your project is interesting and has a lot of potential. I'm interested to see what kinds of questions you come up with.
Deanna and Rob,
Thanks for seeing angles that I had missed. I've been so saturated in this topic that I need to step out.
Keep those suggestions coming!
Post a Comment