I'm vascilating between approaching the topic of case studies from the perspective of a researcher and the perspective of a reader--even though both are intertwined. I'll take the researcher first!
We have seen that technology can widen our perspective, allowing us to widen our scope and increase our participants. Technology also presents challenges for publishing up-to-date information. I visited with an instructor that we are considering hiring. As part of the interview, she brought up the research she had done during her dissertation process. She quickly added that it wasn't as relevant now as it was in 1996 because the Internet wasn't as widely used. Her study had focused on advertisements on the web to senior citizens. From listening to her and reflecting on Sun's dissertation, I think we miss a lot of relevance in our research if we discount it because we feel it's not applicable now. Much of what we read, even though the technology may be outdated, can still be applicable today. We can look at trends, challenges, probabilities through the lens of learning.
As readers, case studies involving technology force us to spend more time reflecting on the time frame and considering the studies through a historical lense. These case studies are many times more difficult to read because, on the surface, it would be understandable to assume that this information can't be rigorous in today's context but looking beneath the surface, the reader can find a wealth of information.
I would also counter with those that believe case studies involving technology have insurmountable challenges, that we consider technology is not just computer. Technology is the printing press, television, radio, railways, etc. that has constantly changed and will continue.
Debra
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think you're spot on about the value of Case Study research, Debra. You ought to consider reading Yin's book, then doing a piece for, say, computers and composition about the importance of case study research with technology.
CS research are little grains that eventually make a lovely picture/mosaic. I'm not sure they can be generalized (well, they can't), but they can give us ideas, and even directions. And they CAN influence us. But I do think that their biggest strength is when you see several of them making the same point, or reinforcing each other...or contradicting each other. It's a sign we need to look at the context again, perhaps with "new eyes".
Post a Comment