I love trying out new programs. However, due to the dynamic nature of these two programs, they are easy to experience for the first time (my opinion).
I was reminded of a reading I've done this summer that compared adults versus teenager technology users. The adults want to read the manual and the teenager wants to "experience" the device. While I tried not to look at the Atlas manual, I eventually did! I admit it. And--reading the manual was very helpful.
With Atlas I was able to load two documents and have it search for key words. The search resulted in more detailed information than I was expecting. It gave the number of times the word was used, line #, etc.
NVIVO was more of a challenge, but it's structure is very interesting. I was reminded of Access/Word/Photoshop/Excel all in one package. It was much more user friendly, having tried Atlas first, and yet I had more difficulty. I'm looking forward to hearing more from those who have used it.
I haven't given up!
Debra
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I feel your pain. :-)
I am still working with both programs and although I found the NVivo layout very familiar from a Windows perspective, it is more frustrating to me than Atlas. I admit that I was looking at the help files as well. Without them I was unable to command the programs to do much of anything. Hopefully by Tuesday I will have more of a grasp on things.
Debra, I am extremely envious. I was not able to get Nvivo downloaded and installed. However, I do expect to receive a demo CD -- it's coming from Australia, so it may take a while to arrive. I am really looking forward to trying it out on some articles I have been researching.
Post a Comment